Be respectful of others' views and choices.
 #84286  by SR9

I read an article earlier today that said if the Toomey-Machin-Schumer bill, that is thought to come up for a vote today, does not pass, it may be the end of the gun control bills untill 2014. I have a lot of question about this.
I guess I just do not trust the US Congress, and have absolutely no respect of trust for Obama.
 #84307  by David

It did not pass. Only 54 votes. Unnless reid pulls out another amendment in the future, that should about wrap things up federally. Wish we could say the same for our brilliant leaders in dover.
 #84341  by David

DiFi's AWB amendment went down in flames as well - 40 aye, 60 nay. So far 6 of the 8 amendments have failed, but Harry Reid’s anti-gun bill is not dead yet. There are two more amendments to be voted on, and in addition Harry Reid’s NO vote means the Schumer-Manchin-Toomey Amendment may be back up for a vote. Then either the amended or the original omnibus anti-gun bill, likely with Schumer’s most restrictive background check bill, will be voted up or down.

For our PA readers, Bob Casey voted for the AWB. That should go over well in in next election. Obviously its a forgone conclusion how our illustrious senators from Delaware voted.
 #84360  by Amy Blackthorn

It'll be a little bit. You still see jerks buying a thousand rounds at a time for guns they don't own because they know ammo is hard to find.
 #84370  by stephpd

We'll also have a wait as the Democrats run roughshod all over state laws.
 #84396  by David

Reid to shelve gun bill
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... ?hpt=po_c2

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Thursday he'll set aside proposed gun legislation without a final vote following the defeat a day earlier of major provisions sought by President Barack Obama and Democrats in the aftermath of the Newtown school massacre.

"(Obama) and I agreed that the best way to keep working towards passing a background check bill is to hit pause, and freeze the background check bill where it is," he said on the Senate floor. "This will allow senators to keep negotiating."

A Senate Democratic leadership aide said Reid can bring up the package of gun proposals again if circumstances change and he believes he has the votes for key provisions to pass, particularly a measure to expand background checks on gun buyers.

"We're gonna have time to work on what people want to do before we come back to this," Reid said, adding that this option allows them to return to the bill without returning to square one. "It will only be a matter of time."

"The stand of the Republicans is not sustainable," he said. "The question is how long they're going to stand firm–but it's not sustainable."

In a major defeat for supporters of tougher gun laws, the Senate on Wednesday defeated a compromise plan to expand background checks on firearms sales as well as a proposal to ban some semi-automatic firearms modeled after military assault weapons.
 #84404  by stephpd

David wrote:
"(Obama) and I agreed that the best way to keep working towards passing a background check bill is to hit pause, and freeze the background check bill where it is," he said on the Senate floor. "This will allow senators to keep negotiating."
What a POS!

The bill was going down in flames and he 'shelved it' for later.
 #84448  by fieldman

Paused it so it can be resumed directly after (god forbid) another mass shooting. They know they need high emotions to override rational and careful thought to pass this stuff..
 #84449  by Mr.Skellington

fieldman wrote:Paused it so it can be resumed directly after (god forbid) another mass shooting. They know they need high emotions to override rational and careful thought to pass this stuff..
That and after the prolonged MSM smear campaign against those who voted against that proposal impacts the next mid term elections.