If you have a particular encounter with another citizen or LEO, post it here.
 #106680  by dave_in_delaware

catfish123 wrote:I see that you have deleted my comment, Roach! Its okay, I'll just post it again. ;)
Actually, Roach cannot delete other users' posts; only moderators can. And please don't re-re-post it. Removal happened for a reason. BTW, Roach wasn't the guy in the store, so you shouldn't call him out on things.

From what you said in your post, I'm going to guess you work at that Cabella's, or very close to it.

I wasn't at the store witnessing all of this happening. But if someone was watching a pair of individuals taking photos of security camera locations, taking pictures of the exits and entrance (not the taxidermy), grabbing random items pretending to shop, and acting suspiciously, then that was enough evidence for any reasonable person to report the strange activity. Notice I didn't mention race, culture, or manner of dress. Anyone could have been doing this and acting suspiciously. And they (hopefully) would have been reported, too.

And BTW, when someone knows they're up to no good, of course they get nervous when they realize someone is watching. That's human nature.

The events that happened in Paris have triggered people to be more situationally aware of suspicious activity. Now isn't the time to get complacent. Especially in a huge store that sells guns and ammo, and has many many visitors.
catfish123 wrote:I pray that one day a middle eastern man or woman can walk into a store and be accepted.
Well, if they aren't taking pictures of security cameras and acting suspiciously, I'm sure they will be. That goes for all races, genders, cultures, etc.

Stay safe everyone. Carry on.
 #106699  by steve

I was hoping that post was going to be taken care of. Stay safe and vigilant
 #106720  by Fishhunter911

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

dave_in_delaware wrote:
catfish123 wrote:I see that you have deleted my comment, Roach! Its okay, I'll just post it again. ;)
Actually, Roach cannot delete other users' posts; only moderators can. And please don't re-re-post it. Removal happened for a reason. BTW, Roach wasn't the guy in the store, so you shouldn't call him out on things.

From what you said in your post, I'm going to guess you work at that Cabella's, or very close to it.

I wasn't at the store witnessing all of this happening. But if someone was watching a pair of individuals taking photos of security camera locations, taking pictures of the exits and entrance (not the taxidermy), grabbing random items pretending to shop, and acting suspiciously, then that was enough evidence for any reasonable person to report the strange activity. Notice I didn't mention race, culture, or manner of dress. Anyone could have been doing this and acting suspiciously. And they (hopefully) would have been reported, too.

And BTW, when someone knows they're up to no good, of course they get nervous when they realize someone is watching. That's human nature.

The events that happened in Paris have triggered people to be more situationally aware of suspicious activity. Now isn't the time to get complacent. Especially in a huge store that sells guns and ammo, and has many many visitors.
catfish123 wrote:I pray that one day a middle eastern man or woman can walk into a store and be accepted.
Well, if they aren't taking pictures of security cameras and acting suspiciously, I'm sure they will be. That goes for all races, genders, cultures, etc.

Stay safe everyone. Carry on.
 #106743  by Pjd832

i was in cabelas Wednesday evening...there was a group of asians in there wandering around taking pictures of everything not just animals and guns....including video :o ........and based on the dialect in which they spoke i knew immediately they were from the village of pujon (north korea)....does that mean red dawn is coming? :kuku: .......

im all for hyper vigilance ....but over reaction and spreading panic is detrimental .....now the "friend of a friend or a brothers neighbor knew a marine that said..." logically speaking was this person a linguist?...most likely not...so the "if they're brown put em down" mentality kicks in..... :banghead:
 #106745  by GatorDude

While I understand and can empathize with your underlying theme that we should not overreact and should not jump to ethnicity-driven conclusions, I am not so sure that applies here. The fact that the participants were of a certain ethnic background did not seem to be the suspicious behavior in and of itself. I would find the behavior that is described suspicious no matter what group of people were doing it.
 #106746  by Pjd832

GatorDude wrote:While I understand and can empathize with your underlying theme that we should not overreact and should not jump to ethnicity-driven conclusions, I am not so sure that applies here. The fact that the participants were of a certain ethnic background did not seem to be the suspicious behavior in and of itself. I would find the behavior that is described suspicious no matter what group of people were doing it.
"a certain ethnic background"? based on 3rd hand info from an unvetted source?....i question any american born persons ability WHO IS NOT A LINGUIST to discern a syrian from a lebanese or jordanian who all share the same dialect......and the behavior described in the op was NOT 100% factually correct in what actually occurred.....first off as someone else stated there IS/WAS NO ARABIC speaking employees....so the "conversation in arabic between the check out guy and the suspect" was either intentional blatant bs or an episode of hysteria induced delusion ...

while i didn't review the video myself i have it FIRST HAND from one of the individuals (non cabelas employee) that watched the stores video of the individuals in question their entire time in the store....they WERE NOT taking pictures of all the bs told in the original story.. 3 pictures were taken...none were of security systems/exits/or the other nonsense ......and they didn't purchase "ied" materials....

there are certainly things to be concerned with out there ......but this tall tale is not one......some people just like the attention that comes from "warning everyone" about the boogey men in the closet.....just as others like to tell their brave near death stories of "blading and gripping up their weapon" then assaulting some old guy who muzzle swept them with an unloaded trigger locked nagant while taking it off the rack......its all in the perception i guess...if people are concerned..then don't go...there are far better deals to be had online anyway...i never understood the obsession with bf shopping....

id be more concerned about being trampled at walmart by a local pajama and slipper wearing rhino than a terrorist attack at cabelas......not for nothing...there are a number of combat vets including marines that work there... id not consider it a soft target....not to mention..didnt dsp post up at cabelas last year on black friday?....just saying
 #106752  by Kuntryboy816

Actually, pjd, your information is second hand knowledge since it's coming from another source... so in that realm, your account is just as founded as the OP's. So how are we to believe that your account of the situation is any more factual than his? What if you were fed a "tall tale" to keep the real story from getting out in public?

I wear pajamas, I'm a bigger guy, go to Walmart, have bumped into people while shopping... so it's okay for you to generalize and discriminate based on appearances but not the person who witnessed the incident? Seems a bit hypocritical IMO but hey, "it's all in perception" correct?

Do you rely on others (DSP) to effect your personal protection? I don't care if DSP is standing right next to me, I do not rely on them to defend my family or I... that's not their job. Yeah, if someone muzzles me or my family you better believe I'm going to react in an escalating manner if need be (just as another member who posted that very same story did). You do not know that the firearm is unloaded, that the trigger lock is intact, that the person holding it has no mal intent. I can walk over to any of the ammo shelves and pick up a box of ammo and then to the racks and load a fitearm. The ones behind the counter are not disabled... If i have to knock my kid to the ground or push my wife aside or step in front of them in order to ensure their not in harms way then so be it. I can always apologize to them but not if they're dead. Hopefully that type of apathy won't lead to regret!
 #106753  by Maintenance Guy

I went to Cabela's this morning. I was there at 5:05am. The end of the line was at the back of the building. It took about 20 minutes to get inside and once there I went to the desk to declare my OC weapon. I was asked what I wanted done with it. I explained that I was only OCing. I was told that unless I unholstered it I was fine. If I was going to unholster it, I needed to come back to the front of the store to have it cleared. I just thought to myself that if I needed to unholster it, there wasn't going to be time to walk back to the front. I could pretty much "clear it" on my own. I got outta there about 7:45am with the purchase of an M&P15. (on sale) The line were long but they moved fairly quickly until I went to register the weapon. The computers froze up. I was told that it was all the Cabela's across the U.S. Irish luck..... I made it out alive. I'm pretty sure ISIS will take credit for messing up their computers. Take care ALL and be safe.
 #106754  by 2xTony

So whats black friday at cabelas like? They lower their prices to msrp? Lol